Inside: Top horror movie drinking games rules that can make a game out of any scary movie.
If you know me, you know that I love a good drinking game. But I also know that there is a delicate line to walk in terms of whether or not a drinking game is fun, or just straight irresponsible. I have walked that line so you don’t have to!
There are so many different amazing party drinking games for specific movies, and that can be SO FUN. But what happens if you and your friends pick a movie that doesn’t have a designated drinking game?
There is nothing worse that trying to formulate rules when you are buzzed. It’s a mess!
So today I want to share with you my holy grail of best horror movie drinking games rules that fit with any movie. They are basically like the skeleton key of the drinking game world.
Once you have these, you have the power to make any scary movie a drinking game. Are you ready player?
Best Horror Movie Drinking Games Rules
You obviously don’t have to play to all of these rules, but you do have the choice to mix and match as you please. I am going to break these down into 5 sections to make it easier for you to choose.
1. “Jump Scare Sip” – Take a sip every time there’s a jump scare in the movie.
2. “Horror Cliché Chug” – Whenever a classic horror movie cliché occurs, take a big gulp.
3. “Creepy Atmosphere Sip” – Take a sip whenever the movie builds a creepy atmosphere.
4. “Survivor Shot” – Take a shot whenever a character survives a dangerous encounter.
5. “Final Girl Toast” – Raise your glass whenever the final girl takes charge.
6. “Gory Kill Drink” – Take a drink every time there’s a gruesome kill scene.
7. “Who’s There?” – Take a sip every time a character investigates a strange noise.
8. “Ghost Sip” – Take a sip every time a ghost or spirit appears.
9. “Monster Chug” -Take a big gulp whenever the monster is revealed.
10. “Creepy Child Drink” -Take a drink whenever a creepy child is involved.
Funny Horror Movie Drinking Game Cues
Though this is for sure going to be a scary experience for you, there are also going to be LOTS of laughs involved. Here are some funny ones to call out!
11. “Horror Movie Reference Sip” – Take a sip whenever there’s a reference to another horror movie.
12. “False Alarm Sip” – Take a sip every time a scare turns out to be a false alarm.
13. “Nightmare Sequence Chug” – Take a big gulp whenever there’s a nightmare or dream sequence.
14. “No Signal Sip” – Take a sip whenever characters lose communication or encounter technical difficulties.
15. “Creepy Doll Drink” – Take a drink whenever a creepy doll appears on screen.
16. “Death by Stupidity” – Take a drink whenever a character dies due to making a dumb decision.
17. “Haunted House Sip” – Take a sip whenever the haunted house reveals something sinister.
18. “Suspenseful Music Drink” – Take a drink whenever the suspenseful music intensifies.
19. “Bloodcurdling Scream Chug” – Take a big gulp every time there’s a bloodcurdling scream.
20. “Creepy Reflection Sip” – Take a sip whenever a character sees something unsettling in a reflection.
Must Play Rules
I have found that this next section is one of the most fun to play when enjoying some of the best horror movie drinking games. You have to try these to see what I mean.
21. “Dark Basement Drink” -Take a drink whenever a character goes into a dark and creepy basement.
22. “Psychological Twist Sip” -Take a sip whenever there’s a psychological twist in the plot.
23. “Horror Movie Trope Toast” – Raise your glass to horror movie tropes whenever you spot one.
24. “Innocent Victim Drink” – Take a drink whenever an innocent character becomes a victim.
25. “Eerie Fog Sip” -Take a sip whenever eerie fog appears on the screen.
26. “Scary Artwork Chug” – Take a big gulp whenever there’s disturbing artwork or symbols in the movie.
27. “Creepy Crawlers Sip” – Take a sip whenever creepy insects or animals appear.
28. “Creepy Whisper Drink” – Take a drink whenever there’s a creepy whisper or voice heard.
29. “Mirror Scare Sip” – Take a sip whenever there’s a scare involving a mirror.
30. “Bathroom Break” – Take a drink whenever a character visits the bathroom (in honor of horror movie clichés).
Final Countdown Rules
These are for if you are nearing the end of the movie and you want a change of scenery. I have an awesome drinking games couples will love here as well.
31. “Final Showdown Chug” – Take a big gulp during the final confrontation between the protagonist and the antagonist.
32. “Survival Instinct Sip” – Take a sip whenever a character displays impressive survival skills.
33. “Weapon of Choice Drink” -Take a drink whenever a character finds a unique weapon to defend themselves.
34. “Sinister Symbolism Sip” – Take a sip whenever there’s sinister symbolism hidden in the scenes.
35. “Chase Scene Chug” – Take a big gulp during intense chase scenes.
36. “Creepy Portrait Drink” – Take a drink whenever a creepy portrait or painting is shown.
37. “Supernatural Encounter Sip” – Take a sip whenever characters encounter a supernatural force.
38. “Haunted Object Drink” – Take a drink whenever a haunted or cursed object is central to the plot.
39. “Terrified Reaction Sip” -Take a sip whenever a character reacts with extreme terror.
40. “Dark Secret Chug” -Take a big gulp whenever a dark secret is revealed.
UNIVERSAL Best Horror Movie Drinking Games Rules
I think this last section is full of the most universal best horror movie drinking games rules that you will ever try. Each one is guaranteed to be in almost every scary movie. Good luck!
41. “Creepy Children’s Song Drink” – Take a drink whenever a creepy children’s song is played.
42. “Tense Score Sip” – Take a sip whenever the score adds tension to the scene.
43. “Evil Laughter Drink” -Take a drink whenever the villain or antagonist lets out an evil laugh.
44. “Unexpected Twist Sip” – Take a sip whenever there’s an unexpected plot twist.
45. “Spooky Book Chug” – Take a big gulp whenever a spooky book or diary is discovered.
46. “Running from Danger Sip” – Take a sip every time characters run from danger.
47. “Creepy Phone Call Drink” – Take a drink whenever there’s a creepy or threatening phone call.
48. “Famous Last Words Sip” – Take a sip whenever a character says famous last words before meeting their demise.
49. “Movie Marathon Bonus” – Finish your drink if you watch a full horror movie marathon in one sitting!
I feel like I need to say at least once in this article that you need to drink your alcohol responsibly. Listen to your body; if you feel like you are reaching a point where you would like to stop drinking, then bow out. Who cares if you lose, at least you won’t be losing your dinner to the toilet later!
I am serious about that. But at the same time, I want you to have fun. So let loose, listen to yourself, and try not to choke on your drink when those inevitable jump scares get you!
I have even more drinking games where this one came from. The top of my list is the Mario party drinking game!