Inside: Groovy 60s party themes and ideas.
I don’t know about you, but I have quite the obsession with the past decades. I am in love with the fashion, the music, the HAIR! It makes me a little sad that I wasn’t born into that time era, but I do like the 21st century.
Sometimes when I want to experience what it was like back then, I like to plan themed parties. This way, you and your friends can all dress up and have a good time while getting even just a tiny bit of that time.
So today I am going to show you my favorite 60s party themes and ideas that will help you transform any space into the perfect place for a boogie.
Take a look through these ideas and prepare to feel inspired. There are so many awesome things here that may overwhelm you, so I took the liberty of breaking them up into parts. First, we have the themes, then the decorations, and then finally the outfits. Check them all out.
Simple 60s Party Themes
To kick off this list, I figured we could start with some general 60s party themes that you can choose from. Then below, we have decoration ideas and even some awesome outfits you can wear to the party as well. Take a look through all of these to see which party will best fit you and your home.
1. Get Your Groove On – For this party, you will need hippy decor, a disco ball, and of course, some good tunes! Everyone will dress up, and you will get to live it up like it’s the 1960s.
2. Tie Die 60s Party – Everyone knows tie dye was basically invented in the 1960s, so put on some tunes and have a tie-dye party. The party favors will be the shirts they get to take home.
3. Peace, Love, and Happiness – Have different photo stations for peace(with peace signs), Love(with hearts), and Happiness(smiley faces). Everyone must dress up and take photos.
4. Classic 60s Party – I couldn’t leave this idea out. You’ll need colorful flowers, 60s music, lava lamps…the works. Everyone must come dressed like they are from the 1960s.
5. Record Player Party – You have to only listen to music from a record player like they did in the 60s. You can get records as decoration as well, and maybe even a record cake!
Groovy 60’s Inspired Party Decorations
Decorations are the name of the game. Without them, how could you possibly transform your home into a magical 1960s disco room? You couldn’t. Honestly you couldn’t have a 60s-themed party if you didn’t decorate, it would just be a party. So take a look through these ideas and get inspired.
Think of some more you want to add as well if these aren’t enough.
6. You’re Groovy Party Kit – I find that saving time and energy when party planning is a welcome sight. So here is a party kit that will jumpstart this process, so you are on a one-stop train to party town! Okay, that was cringe. But you know what I mean.
7. 60s Photo Booth Props – If you like idea #3, then you have to get these photo props to keep near each station. As silly as they are, they will add so much more fun to the occasion.
8. Twirly Ceiling Decor – Everyone knows that peace signs are a must-have decoration when you are throwing a 60s-themed party. So check out these adorable ceiling twirls!
9. Floral Balloons – These SCREAM 1960s. They will add such a cute aura of retro-ness to your space that will truly transform your guests. Plus, you can keep them as decor after the fact.
10. Record Streamers – Records are another one of those must-have items to consider when creating your decorations cart. Check out this example to see what I mean; too cute!
11. Hippie Volkswagen Tapestry – Tapestries are the way to go if you want to cover a large surface. I am in love with the color of this one; burnt orange is so retro!
12. Rainbow Light Projector – Cool lights are the way to go if you want to transform your space into an awesome reflection of this time era. This one is a great deal.
13. Real Disco Ball – If you want to be authentic, then get yourself a real disco ball. Yep, they are still a thing. You better get used to throwing more disco parties because it’s an investment.
14. Tiny Disco Balls – If the big one was a bit much for you, then tie strings to these and hang them from the ceiling. This will be magical.
60s Party Themes Outfits
You HAVE to dress like you are from the 1960s if you are throwing a 196ps party. Sorry, I don’t make the rules. This will help add to the overall atmosphere of your party. Take a look at these.
15. Yellow Retro Dress – This style of dress was very popular back in the 1960s, and it’s even cuter now because it has that vintage feel that everyone loves. Take a look for inspiration.
16. Rainbow Outfit – If you ever felt yourself wishing you were rainbow bright, well, now is your chance. All jokes aside, don’t be afraid to dress with the colors of the rainbow. That was very 1960s.
17. Real Vintage Feel – This photo example shows you a real vintage 60s look vs one that was recreated nowadays. You can do your best to follow the one that looks closer to the real deal.
18. Go-Go Boots – These boots are a must. Look at them! They feel like they are straight from the 1960s. Get yourself some to go back in time. You don’t have to get white. Any color will look great.
19. Flair Jeans – This style of jeans is slowly making a comeback, and for a good reason: they are so adorable. At least, I think so. Sometimes I wish that I was born back because of fashion. But that’s the only thing I like, so It keeps me grounded in this time.
20. Plaid Flair Jeans – Yep, you heard that right. We are taking it up a notch with these.
21. Roller Skates – Roller skates used to be such a popular and fun way to exercise. I wish it still was. This is something I want to bring back! I’m just going to start going to rides.
22. 60s Sun Jacket – Okay, it’s official. I am in love with this jacket.
23. Rainbow Decal Jeans – To finish this list off, here is a work of art.
So…are you excited about your party? I know I am! Of course, after coming up with this list…I got a little carried away and ended up planning my own 60s party. I think I am going to go with Outfit #16. I am a sucker for colors; what can I say.
There are so many other decades to cover. The 70s, 80s, 90s…all of these will make wonderful party themes. So don’t just stop at these 60s party themes. Although I will say, this party will be the party to end all parties…it’s that good.
So brainstorm some other ideas for the other decades and add them to your list of party ideas; I know you have one. Or maybe you don’t and I am the weird one.