Inside: Adorable 40th birthday party ideas on a budget.
So you or someone you love is turning 4-0? Such an exciting birthday. Like any birthday it deserves to be celebrated.
Naturally, you would want to have a huge bash with photos to share, but sometimes money doesn’t permit this. That’s okay!
There are so many amazing and affordable birthday ideas out there that you can use, that your loved one won’t know the difference.
Because after all, it is the thought that counts… not how much money you spend.
I put together the master list of 40th birthday party ideas to help get you started. I cover everything from themes, to decorations, to foods. So take a look.
Surprise 40th Birthday Party Ideas
1. Classic Surprise Party – I don’t think this one needs explaining. Throw a classic house party to surprise them!
2. Restaurant Surprise Party – Everyone will meet at a restaurant and get a huge table, then when they show up…SURPRISE!
3. Backyard Surprise Party – Have everyone meet in the backyard while they are gone and do some light and quick decorating. They won’t know what hit them.
4. Surprise Theater Party – Have all of your friends and family choose a movie to go to and have everyone show up early. When they get there just have everyone sit facing the movie like normal and see how long it takes them to notice that she’s surrounded by everyone she loves.
5. Surprise PowerPoint – Put together a PowerPoint presentation about why you love the birthday person and unveil it to everyone.
6. One Room Party – Instead of having the party in the main room of the house…have only one small room decorated. This will not only be hilarious but they won’t suspect a thing, even when they get home.
7. Favorite Food Surprise – Have everyone show up one at a time with one of the birthday person’s favorite foods.
8. Animal Surprise – Tell them you are going to get coffee and then drive to the pet shelter and let them pick out a pet.
9. Note Card Surprise – Have everyone show up one at a time, right after the other. Each with a note card with a letter on it that will spell surprise when everyone is there.
10. Surprise Photoshoot – Book them a surprise photo shoot!
Unique & Cheap 40th Party Ideas
11. Going Camping – Camping is an awesome way to throw a party, be it nonconventional. To spice it up you just secretly have everyone you love to meet at the camping site and make it a whole thing!
12. At-Home Wine Tasting – If you are trying to save some money then a wine tasting might be out of your budget. So just gather up a few varieties and some cheeses that pair with them and make your own at home.
13. Baking Party – If your birthday person loves to bake, then throw them a bake-off! Get all of your friends together and all of the ingredients to make a few different dishes and see who can make the most superior dessert.
14. Hike Surprise – Create a picnic party in the woods and take your birthday person on a hike until you happen across it. Loads of fun plus the element of surprise!
15. Pottery Class – Have everyone meet at your local pottery class, it’ll be so much fun PLUS you’ll get to take home your work. A forever memento!
16. Midnight Party – If you can stay up this late, then this is an awesome idea. Throw a party under the moonlight for a night you’ll never forget.
17. Suprise party for your friends – Uno reverse a surprise party and throw it for your friends. Don’t tell them you are throwing a party until they get there!
Simple 40th Birthday Party Ideas
18. Sunrise Party – Choose a place to view the sunrise and have everyone meet there for a breakfast picnic.
19. Scavenger Hunt – Set up little notes with hints about where the party will be. They will follow the clues until they find their party.
20. Planting Party – If your birthday person loves plants then set up a planting party where you can repot plants and sew seeds.
21. Movie Night – Movie Night is a great and affordable party that is simple to put together and super enjoyable. It’s even cheaper thanks to Netflix and all of the streaming services that we have at our fingertips.
22. Beach Party – Just have a beach day(if you are near one). Get all of your pals and loved ones to gather at the beach and spend some quality time with the waves.
23. Game Night – I couldn’t make a party list without including a game night.
24. Crafting Party – Pick something that you’ve always wanted to make, gather the supplies and the people you are closest to, and dive on in. It’s even more fun with cocktails.
25. Bonfire – Whether it’s in your backyard or the beach, this is an epic way to spend your 40th. Roasting marshmallows? Yes, please!
26. No Cell Phones Party – In this day in age it can be so hard to hang out with people without the interference of electronics. So have a no phones party. Disconnect your phones and connect your hearts.
27. Zumba Dance Party – If you like to sweat then this is the party for you. It’ll be full of laughs and is such a great workout.
28. Tiny Get Together – Keep it small. Only have your closest friends and family over, and have tiny themed foods.
House Party Ideas
29. Outdoor Picnic – Spending time outdoors is always a good idea when we are talking about parties. There is so much space, clean air…and lots of fun.
30. Desserts Party – Now that you are an adult, you can eat as much dessert as you want. So feed that inner child and have a dessert-only party.
31. Cocktail Party – Keep it classy with a cocktail party.
32. Photo Party – Set up cute backdrops to get some awesome photos.
33. Home Spa Day – Get some face masks and paint your nails…it’s a spa night.
34. Home Cooked Dinner – Simple and sweet.
35. DIY Pizza Party – Making your own pizza is such a fun and simple party idea that everyone will love
36. Kids Party – Turning 40 doesn’t mean you should stop being a kid at heart! Do all the things child you loved/
37. Tea Party – Tea parties are an elegant type of party that is perfect for photo opts.
38. Quilting Party – This one is to make you feel old!
39. Fancy Dress Themed – And to oppose the one above, this is one to make you feel young.
40. Drinking Game Party – There are so many fun drinking games…you could make a whole party out of them.
Affordable Food for 40th Birthday Party
A good party needs good food. Most of these 40th birthday party food ideas on a budget are smaller foods and are more affordable than bigger meals.
Plus they’re cuter. You can’t go wrong.
41. Veggie Tray
42. Bacon Wrapped Weenies
43. Anti Pasta Skewer
44. Chip Dip Board
45. Chicken and Waffles Sliders
46. Mini Strawberry Cheesecakes
47. Jalapeno Cups
48. Potato Skins
49. Tea Sandwiches
50. Reese’s Snack Mix
51. Fruit Platter
52. Mini Baked Potatoes
53. Cheeseburger Sliders
54. Spinach Puffs
55. Jalapeno Peppers
56. Build Your Own Sandwich
57. Homemade Pizza Pockets
DIY & Quick to Buy Decorations
There are so many awesome value packs available online that come with upwards of 50-piece sets for less than 30 dollars. Don’t believe me? Look.
58. Light Pink Value Pack
59. Gold and Black Decoration Pack
60. Happy 40th Birthday Set
61. Sash and Tiara
62. Cheers and Beers to 40 Years
63. Gold and Black Decorations
64. 40th Photo Template
65. Blue and Black Balloons
66. Sparkly Wall Decor
67. Happy 40th Outdoor Banner
68. Blue and Gold Kit
69. Plates and Table Runner
70. Twirly Ceiling Decor
71. Funny ‘I’m Forty’ Banner
72. 40 Backdrop
73. Perfect 40 Back Drop
74. Decorated Napkins
40th Birthday Must Haves – Where To Splurge?
These are just some of the things that you HAVE to consider getting for your 40th birthday party. We know we want to plan 40th birthday party ideas on a budget, but some things are worth splurging on and will leave a big impact on the party itself.
75. 40th Cake Topper
76. Cute Cupcake Toppers
77. Classic Balloons with ’40’ on Them
78. Big Number Balloons
79. Cute Backdrop
80. Fringe Background
81. Vintage Wine Glass
82. Guest Signing Cuteness
83. Drink Sleeves
84. Plastic 40th Cups
Cute Invitation Ideas
Of course, you will need some simple and affordable invitations as well. I have found that a good invitation can really have a big impact on the party.
85.Black and Gold Invites
86. Cheers and Beers
87. Pink and Gold Invites
88. Surprise Party Invites
89. You’re Invited Pink and Striped
90. Classy White and Gold Invites
91. Watercolor Invites
92. Join Us Invites
93. Purple and Gold Invitations
94. Invitations with Brown Background
95. Colorful Funny Invites
96. Tiki Themed Invites
Gift Ideas for a 40-Year-Old
If you are reading this article because you are planning a party for someone you love, then you may need some gift ideas. Take a look at these.
97. 39ish Wine Glass
98. Themed Makeup Bag
99. Wine Set
100. Sweet Ceramic Mug
101. Themed Wine Label
102. Funny Themed Jar
103. Sweet Blanket
104. Cute Throw Pillow
105. Funny Framed Fact Sheet
There you have it! 100+ 40th birthday party ideas on a budget that will feel good on the heart… and the pockets. I hope that this article was useful to you because I know how daunting it can be to throw a big party like a 40th.
The important part is that you tried, that is all that matters. Here’s to 40 more years!