Inside: The most fun half birthday ideas to celebrate mid-year.
A half birthday is an event celebrated halfway between two birthdays. Usually, it’s celebrated in the sixth month between a baby’s birth and their first birthday. In recent years, more young kids and even adults have started celebrating their half birthdays, too.
If you’re wondering how to prepare for a half birthday party, remember that you can make almost any popular party theme work for a half birthday celebration.
Below are 37 ideas to inspire you and keep you excited for your or your kid’s half birthday!
There’s something for everyone here. We’ve included theme ideas, invitations, decorations, food, drinks, crafts, activities for kids and adults, and so much more. Let’s get right to it!
Half Birthday Food Ideas
What is a party without food? Here are some half birthday party food ideas to get you started. These are all perfect as 6 month birthday ideas, or even for older kids or adults!
- Half rainbow birthday cake – This adorable cake has been cut in half to reveal the rainbow colors inside.
- Half birthday pizza – Instead of a traditional cake, have your guests make their own pizzas. Ask them to cut the pizza in two and use different flavors for each half. You can also simply buy a pizza with two different flavors.
- Half-birthday cookies – Ice them with plain or colored icing and decorate with a candle.
- S’more ice cream cups – These are a classic birthday treat, but they’re even better as half birthday treats!
- Half birthday cake pops – Use your favorite cake recipe or bake them off in cupcake tins. Cover with frosting, dip in sprinkles, place a lollipop stick in the center and freeze until firm.
- Cupcake ice cream cones – Skip the cake and serve ice cream in cupcake-sized cones made from chocolate wafer cookies.
- Customized half birthday cake – Decorate the cake with the birthday celebrant’s favorite color, cartoon character, or hobby to make a totally unique treat.
- Half birthday donuts – Check out this recipe for chocolate glazed half-birthday donuts.
- Half-burger – Cut burgers in half and serve each guest one half.
1/2 Birthday Beverages For Kids
These fun drinks will be a big hit with the kids! Most of these are healthy and fruity, but take it slow on the refined sugar, though.
- Sparkling half birthday strawberry lemonade – Serve it in festive canning jars.
- Half-birthday smoothies – Kids will love this fun, creamy drink!
- Strawberry watermelon lemonade slushies – Pour lemonade in one half of a plastic party cup and add the strawberry syrup and crushed watermelon to the other half. When you fill it with ice, it will separate and your kids can make their own tasty slushies.
- Half birthday punch – This colorful punch is a great alternative to soda.
- Rainbow round-up drink – This is a creative, healthy way to give kids colorful fruit drinks they’ll love!
- Fruit-infused half birthday water – Put some fruit slices or berries in a pitcher of cold filtered or bottled water and let it soak overnight. You can add the flavored water to the punch bowl, too.
- Mixed berry lemonade – Instead of plain old lemonade, serve this fun fruit-infused drink!
Half Birthday Beverages For Adults
Don’t let kids have all the fun! These cool drinks are perfect for the adults at any half birthday party.
- Half and half – Combine equal parts grape juice and lemonade, or iced tea with ginger ale.
- Flamingo fizz – Combine 2 oz fresh lemon juice, 1 oz grenadine, 4 oz orange juice, and 2 oz soda water.
- Half birthday mimosas – Pour equal parts Champagne and orange juice into a flute and top with a strawberry for garnish.
- Half birthday sangria – Combine 1 can (13.5 oz) pineapple-orange juice, 1/2 cup orange liqueur, 1/2 cup brandy, and 1/4 cup peach schnapps. If desired, stir in some strawberries and oranges for added flavor and color.
- Half birthday Mojitos – Combine 1/4 cup sugar, 4 tablespoons fresh lime juice, a handful of fresh mint leaves, 1/2 cup of club soda, and 1 cup of white rum.
Half Year Birthday Ideas For Fun & Games
Your six-month-old baby won’t understand what’s going on, but older kids and adults will definitely enjoy these activities! Make sure to take photos so your child can look back on their half birthday!
- Half donut game – Prepare unique donuts and cut them in half. Give each guest one half and ask them to look for the matching half. Whoever finds their match first wins a prize.
- It’s your half birthday! – Ask everyone their half birthday and whoever is celebrating their half birthday next gets a prize from the celebrant.
- Half a break, half a KitKat – Ask four or give volunteers to play the game. Each player gets 10 pairs of KitKats. Whoever breaks all 10 cleanly down the middle first wins.
- Glass half full – Give everyone a glass of water with a halfway mark. Tell them to try and fill their glasses. Whoever gets their glass filled to the halfway mark first, within 5 seconds, wins a prize. Whoever goes beyond is disqualified.
- Half scavenger hunt – List objects that come in pairs, like socks, shoes, scissors, sunglasses, earrings, and other items. Ask players to look for these objects and others that come in pairs. The player with the most objects at the end of 10 minutes wins.
More 6 Month Birthday Ideas
Half birthdays are usually not as grand as actual birthdays, so here are some simple things you can do to make your baby’s half birthday party more memorable. You can also do this for other kids or even your adult friends and family members!
- If you have guests, give each child who is turning half their age that month a surprise gift.
- Prepare a special breakfast for the celebrant.
- Make half birthday hats or crowns for kids to wear during the day so they feel extra special.
- Have the cake decorated with “half-birthday” candles.
- Make unique place settings for each guest or family member.
- Have an ice cream sundae bar with toppings and let guests decorate their own special treat!
- Make a photo display of the celebrant’s life from birth to now and have everyone write a note on what they would like to say to the celebrant on their half birthday.
- Have kids decorate or color their own “half birthday” party hat.
- Make a half birthday scrapbook for guests to sign and leave messages.
- Have kids bring photo memories from birthdays past and create a time capsule for the celebrant.
- Create an online half birthday celebration with photos, videos, and messages from friends and family.
More Fun Game Ideas You’ll Love
- Dinner Party Games – Food and drinks are lovely to set up the mood for dinner parties but games are the finishing touches to have the best dinner party ever. Play different varieties of games from icebreakers to risky games.
- Murder Mystery Games – Level up murder mystery games with costumes and twists in the game. Players need to put their game face on as they try to solve and trick on another in order to be crowned as the game’s winner.
- Kickass Birthday Party Games – Hosting a birthday party is stressful and challenging for adults because of the pressure of pleasing every guest. These games can help you keep the energy up and make guests experience a great time at your party. So don’t miss these kickass games!